Thursday 26 March 2020

FIRST SEM! RETURN OF THE COMEBACK!!

October 17, 2007, the night before everything changed.

Everyone I know moved forward but I didn't.  Time stopped for me at least. Before that fateful night, I have already planned my life. My schedule so to speak, I thought that I would graduate from UST Law by at least 2011 or 2012.

I would be 25 by that time and take the bar the following year and hopefully be a lawyer in 1 year. When I thought that I had everything figured out, life then threw a curveball at me. The back pain that I was experiencing which I endured and fought off for several months suddenly attacked with full force (The details of my injury will be posted in another blog).  I stopped law school after that, but returning was always at the back of my mind, I never stopped dreaming of the day that I would be back to study law. The grind of studying for hours but nothing enters your mind, the excitement that  it gives when you finally understand you have been reading, the sleepless nights, and the anxiety that it entails when you have not read enough. I was still hoping for it.

A few years after I saw my friend Christian become a lawyer, I was extremely happy for him but at the same time envious of the fact that I could have been also a Bar passer if I have not been injured. Then I saw former classmates from UST Law graduate and become lawyers too, the thought of coming back to study law and try to finish it came back to my mind. I was assessing myself if I can, if my mind was still up to it, if my body can handle the workload that is needed to work in the morning  and go to school in the afternoon if possible. I wanted to come back to UST Law but I know that I may not be able to come back, since I know deep down that I would not be able to handle balancing my work and law school at the same time. 

I was looking for other schools that may be my next home. PLM-Law was an option but I wasn't always able to time the entrance exams. Whenever I called them they would say that the exam was already done and classes were already starting. I also inquired at Beda Alabang since it was nearer to our house in Muntinlupa, but something was not right I felt afraid of the school enviroment, I thought to myself I may be burned out immediately and just leave my dream completely.

Then came the PHILSAT which was required to those who want to enter law schools. I said to myself that this is my last chance to comeback and if I will fail this test I'll move on completely. No regrets whatsoever. The only preparation I did before the PHILSAT exam was that I just downloaded a reviewer and tried to answer it to the best of my abilities. I didn't even check if I got the correct answers. Thankfully I passed the PHILSAT, a proud moment for me since it has been 10 years since I used my brain for an exam. Hahaha. The next question on my mind was where was I going to take an exam or enroll? Around 2017- 2018, a colleague told me that I should try to take the entrance exams at Arellano. I thought about Arellano's proximity from our office and that it is on our way home to Muntinlupa. I decided that this would be the perfect school for me given the circumstances. I passed the needed requirements and took the test. What was funny was that I felt immediately at home at Arellano University School of Law.

Along came the 1st Semester, I only enrolled and took up 3 subjects (Persons and Family Relations, Constitutional Law 1, and Criminal Law 1) since I was "testing the waters" if my mind and body can still cope up with the routine. As I go along the way I met new friends that eased my mind whenever I was in Arellano. I was inspired and excited to go to school, I wanted to be at school early just to sit at the library or sit inside our room contemplating my next move. I felt that time moved again from the moment the time stopped for me in 2007. Whenever I was asked what my age is I'd always say my legal age is 33 but I stopped having birthdays when I turned 24, so I am 24 years old. Hahaha. I'm really thankful for the new friends I gained.

My main goal for the 1st Semester was not to fail all my subjects, since if I will fail all my subjects it will be an indicator that my brain was not up to the challenge. I accepted the fact that I may fail my Constitutional Law 1 class under Atty. Arcilla and my grade in Criminal Law 1 under Atty. Vista might be only 75, I even already told my mom that I would retake Consti 1. Thankfully, I passed all my subjects and it was a bonus to learn from my professor Atty. Cindy that my final exam grade in PAFR was high! Hoping that the next semesters will also turn out ok.

Thank you Arellano University School of Law!!!


1st SEM RETURN OF THE COMEBACK COMPLETE!!


2 comments:

  1. Go Go Berto! Enjoy the ride pre and hopefully makikita kita sa news as Atty na! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salamat pre!! Dadalaw ako sa inyo dyan ni jeace sa Canada pag naging lawyer na. :D

      Delete

Comment naman diyan idol. :) Sayang naman ang pagbasa mo kung hindi ka magcomment. kung may mali aayusin ko na lang. orayt? :D